If today’s RCMP is not what it should be, what to do? I can think of no other developed country (and probably no others of any size) that has a national police force responsible for the following types of law enforcement (I confess I don’t know quite the jurisdiction of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary):
-municipal policing (Ontario and Quebec and many cities in other provinces excepted)
-rural policing (all provinces except Ontario and Quebec)
-All policing in the territories
-highway patrol (all provinces except Ontario and Quebec, and the RCMP also does this on federal roads in Ottawa)
-Organized crime (drugs etc.)
-National security (terrorism, espionage)
-White collar crime (sometimes, e.g. Karlheinz Schreiber).
I’m sure I missed a few things.
It seems to me that all provinces should provide their own municipal, rural, and highway policing, by the means of their own choice. There then should be separate federal law enforcement agencies to deal with, in cooperation with the forces in provinces and municipalities as required:
1) Serious organized crime and national security matters (there are many common techniques involved, and both rely greatly on intelligence)
2) Border, airport, and port policing (this function should be part of the Canada Border Services Agency–think Vancouver Airport; one service might have done better)
3) The territories
4) White collar crime (small and mainly civilian, that is to say lawyers)
5) VIP protection.
Damian adds: the RNC is responsible for law enforcement in St. John’s, Corner Brook, Mount Pearl, Conception Bay South and Labrador City. The RCMP handles the rest of the province.
- RT @OliverKamm: How Putin became hero of Europe's far Right & his propaganda channel became its outlet. My column in @JewishChron: http://t… 17 hours ago
- RT @UncleDuke1969: *saves for 2 years *waits in 4 hour line *buys iPhone 6 *rushes home *unboxes *charges *powers up *opens browser *Googl… 17 hours ago
- RT @TheEconomist: Venezuela: probably the world's worst-managed economy econ.st/1BR3E16 http://t.co/1mIGM3Fjgu 1 day ago
- RT @Slate: Where should you start with Mystery Science Theater 3000? slate.me/1tAj8nv http://t.co/tLMXKbSgkp 1 day ago
- Russia cries foul over Scottish independence vote gu.com/p/4xyn5/tw via @guardian No trolling like Russian trolling. 1 day ago