If today’s RCMP is not what it should be, what to do? I can think of no other developed country (and probably no others of any size) that has a national police force responsible for the following types of law enforcement (I confess I don’t know quite the jurisdiction of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary):
-municipal policing (Ontario and Quebec and many cities in other provinces excepted)
-rural policing (all provinces except Ontario and Quebec)
-All policing in the territories
-highway patrol (all provinces except Ontario and Quebec, and the RCMP also does this on federal roads in Ottawa)
-Organized crime (drugs etc.)
-National security (terrorism, espionage)
-White collar crime (sometimes, e.g. Karlheinz Schreiber).
I’m sure I missed a few things.
It seems to me that all provinces should provide their own municipal, rural, and highway policing, by the means of their own choice. There then should be separate federal law enforcement agencies to deal with, in cooperation with the forces in provinces and municipalities as required:
1) Serious organized crime and national security matters (there are many common techniques involved, and both rely greatly on intelligence)
2) Border, airport, and port policing (this function should be part of the Canada Border Services Agency–think Vancouver Airport; one service might have done better)
3) The territories
4) White collar crime (small and mainly civilian, that is to say lawyers)
5) VIP protection.
Damian adds: the RNC is responsible for law enforcement in St. John’s, Corner Brook, Mount Pearl, Conception Bay South and Labrador City. The RCMP handles the rest of the province.
- RT @News957: Former Newfoundland legislature and site of 1932 riot gets $22M facelift : news957.com/2014/07/27/for… 15 hours ago
- RT @stevenburg: Madrid Jews to ‘defend’ against author who justified expulsions zite.to/1tds96K 16 hours ago
- RT @Slate: Will Howard Stern-inspired pranksters ever stop making it on live TV? slate.me/1urtEje "Pranksters?" It's mostly 1 guy. 16 hours ago
- Well, that's Israel's fault for occupying Somalia. RT @PzFeed Al-Shabab calls for attacks on Jewish targets worldwide jpost.com/Middle-East/So… 16 hours ago
- RT @GeorgeTakei: From a fan: "This is an actual car dealership in Wellington Ohio. What's next, Liam Nissan?" http://t.co/5okiZWGIax 17 hours ago